Saturday, February 19, 2011

Bad Run Bad Mood

I'm in a bad mood. This is unusual after a run. Usually I am pretty happy and not from those elusive endorphins we have all heard so much about, but because I did it. I'm a bit like a bumble bee. As they should not be able to fly, I should not be able to run. My proportions are all wrong. But, I digress, my bad mood.

Being proactive about this weekends long run ( a whole 5 miles) I switched todays scheduled run with tomorrows. I know the chances of getting in a long one tomorrow. Tomorrow is my birthday and I plan on over indulging, 41 only comes around once in a lifetime you know. So I'm guessing I will find an excuse not to lace them up. I'd rather miss a 3 miler than a 5 miler.

So I dressed for the run, first set of hard decisions. Pretty and sunny out but 31 degrees and super windy. I made the mistake of checking out the temp on my smart phone. It gave me the real feel temp... 14. Ugh! I put on several layers and headed out. I was cold at first, but worked up a sweat real fast. I was trudging along and feeling uncomfortable from the start. I was going slow, cold from the wind then hot from the sun. Oh did I mention I had to pee. (TMI I know) I shuffled 2.5 miles and then had a mental breakdown. I stopped to walk. I DON'T do that. I walked some and ran some all the rest of the way home.

All in all it only took me 6 minutes more than my usual 5 mile time, but I feel like I failed today and I hate that feeling. Jim was great telling me most of America was sitting on their rumps all morning and that I should feel proud that I was moving. I'm trying to look at it that way but it is hard. I know from past training that this happens from time to time. Things just don't always come together... but that doesn't mean I have to like it!

No comments: