Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Running while running around



Almost every trip for the past 10 years I have packed running gear. Some trips I use it and some trips I don't. But every vacation or business trip that I carve out time to run I am rewarded. Some times that reward comes in the form of an amazing run. One where I feel great or cover a long distance easily or run faster than ever. But more often than not I find a gem. A hidden place known by the locals but seldom seen by those of us just passing through.

I have eaten wild raspberries off a bush in a park in the middle of Atlanta. I have run miles between a river (canal) and a zoo in downtown Indianapolis. I have run off a heard of elk on accident and to everyone's surprise. Too many ocean runs to mention but they were all memorable in one way or another. A runners view of a place is special. You find cute neighborhoods, nice parks and unusual sculptures. This week in Gaylord it was various bears painted and decorated with different themes. One of the best parts of running in a new space is you are still close to your community.

One thing I always encounter when I run no matter if I am at home or on the road is the wave or nod. If you have been running long you know what I mean. Rarely does a fellow runner pass you with out at least throwing you a nod. It is a big community. Runners are connecting in a big way via Facebook and twitter, but the wave, nod or the friendly hello is the best. For some reason it makes me feel like a real runner a sort of validation that we are all out here fighting the good fight together.

So the next time you are planning a trip take some time out to fit in a run or two. You might see something you wouldn't have seen otherwise and you can add a wave or nod to your collection of running accomplishments.

No comments: