Saturday, July 23, 2011

Baby Steps

Days like yesterday are hard. I want to run but, my brain gets in the way. My calendar is full with work and home obligations and on top of that it is super hot and extra humid. If I don't get up early and get out the door before work the chances of getting that run in goes down considerably.

Additional I am not a big fan of waking up early. So the baby steps start the minute the 5:30 am alarm sounds. I am just gonna get up and have a cup of coffee and check out what has been happening on Facebook and twitter. That is what gets the foot on the floor. I just think about the coffee. As I am sipping the coffee and perusing the Internet I start thinking about my running clothes. I lay them out the night before.

All I have to do is get dressed. All I have to do is put on my headphones. All I have to do is get out the door, down the block and oh look...I am running. How did that happen? Usually the first half a mile keeps me tricking myself. Go slow warm up if you don't feel better in 5 minutes you'll turn around. Well the bottom line is that once I'm out the door the run will get done. It

Isn't always pretty and a lot of times it isn't fun, but tricking myself by taking baby steps gets it in the books and I can forget about it again until the alarm sounds again tomorrow.

No comments: